It does not really snow in Indiana anymore, and not once have I thought to write about that. When I think about why, I remember the fondness I had for snow as a child. I think maybe I do not write about it's absence is because it saddens me that we do not see it anymore.
Ghosh writes about culture being a driving force in the changing environment. We have taken more now that mother nature can give, and now we have to watch the story unfold.
We have overwatered lawns.
We have purchased massive vehicles, sucking gas and giving off fumes.
We have massive pools filled with gallons of water.
We have flattened forests for the lumber we need.
And the worst part is, we did it all to live a more lavish life.
Our "Land of Plenty" attitudes have created the environmental issues we see. I think the worst part is that we have the information, most do not care.
I believe writers do not write about climate change because it is all changing so rapidly we do not know how to process. Additionally, every writer I have ever met feels everything just a little deeper. Their hearts are always a little more full of emotion. I think that is why I do not particularly write about climate change, its not easy saying goodbye to piles of snow.
Ultimately, I want to know if my peers feel like this as well. Do you perhaps avoid this topic in your work because its uncomfortable?
No comments:
Post a Comment